Attention all New York Tri-State area designers: Test your creativity—and support a good cause—by entering Royal Botania's "Dress Up the D-Lux" contest.
The Belgian outdoor furniture manufacturer is offering a chance for designers, artists and inspired minds from NYC and the tri-state area to show off their talent and mingle with the who’s who of the design world—all while helping to benefit the non-profit Design Trust for Public Space. The brand is offering its innovative D-Lux aluminum chair as a blank canvas for creativity. The winner’s completed interpretation of the D-Lux will be up for auction and on display at the Design Trust's 2012 Art+Design Benefit Auction on November 7, hosted by Interior Designer Kitty Hawks and Interior Design magazine Editor-in-Chief Cindy Allen. The winner will also score a ticket to the fête, allowing them to network with an influential and talented crowd, the likes of which include event honorees Danny Meyer and David Rockwell. Entries should be submitted to firstname.lastname@example.org and are due by September 28th.
The theme of this year’s Design Trust event is “urban agriculture.” While not required, here's a tip: it's a good idea to relate to this timely topic s suggested that all submissions relate to this timely topic. The concave and convex lines of this supremely ergonomic (read: comfortable) chair will no doubt challenge designers of all ages.
But for those of you outside the NY-NJ-CT area, don't forget to check out Royal Botania's assortment at Giati at the PDC and Inside Out at DCOTA.
Here's some of the fine print (read: legal speak!) you need to know on the competition:
1) Entrants must create a plan/sketch/concept for “dressing up” the D-Lux chair (e.g. decorating, drawing, painting, enhancing the piece, while keeping its basic form). Inspired by the female body, the chair consists of several concave and convex shapes, made out of a highly rigid aluminum plate. Aluminum was an ideal choice, because it is lightweight, durable and rust-free—even outdoors. The powder coating technique was added to the aluminum to help resist corrosion and damage from the elements. Its dimensions are as follows: 34” height, 18” seat, 24” width, 20” length
2) Entrants must have the ability/means to use their plan/sketch/concept to transform the D-Lux into their vision and create a finished product by Monday, October 8th. The winner will be contacted with further details regarding delivery of the white D-Lux, next steps and specific deadlines. The winner is responsible for all costs related to their creative work on the D-Lux. Royal Botania will cover all transportation costs. The chair must be completed and delivered to Design Trust by Friday, October 12th. The event will be held on Wednesday, November 7.
3) Entries must not defame or misrepresent, instill violence, threats or hate.
4) Entries must be received by September 28th to email@example.com. In addition to the plan/sketch/concept, entries must include complete contact information including name, address, email and telephone number. This information will be kept confidential and only used to contact the winner.
5) The winning project will be announced on Royal Botania’s Facebook page (@RoyalBotania) on/or around the first week of October and included in a press release about the competition and its charitable partner. By entering this Promotion, the entrant agrees that the entry may be published in any form of media chosen by the Sponsor or its designees, without any other fee or other form of compensation.